Hi Hannes:

It is hard to answer a generic "useful for" question. Question for me is which hard security lifecycle problem you are trying to solve and how (presumably) physically unclonable functions could be a potential fit in addressing this problem; another question is where IoT security lifecycle is different than any security lifecycle (i.e., without the IoT "prefix").

My slides show two main uses of PUFs: burying keys and generating noisy non-repeating values (see my slides). There are some technical challenges as well and ways to give the technology a further "booster shot" (challenges/booster shot could be discussed offline).

Best regards, Rene

On 11/8/2017 2:31 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

Thanks for sharing your presentation, Rene.

Do you consider PUFs useful for IoT security? That’s a point I couldn’t really see from your slide deck.

Ciao

Hannes

*From:*Rene Struik [mailto:rstruik....@gmail.com]
*Sent:* 07 November 2017 15:53
*To:* Samita Chakrabarti; Hannes Tschofenig
*Cc:* lwip@ietf.org; draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors....@ietf.org; i...@ietf.org; iot-...@ietf.org *Subject:* (on PUFs) Re: [Lwip] [IoT-DIR] Iotdir early review of draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-04

Hi Samita, Hannes, et al:

I gave a presentation on physically unclonable functions at NIST key management workshop 5 years ago (see [1]), which explains the main concepts. Please note that the "unique device property" is lost as soon as the PUF f or a deterministically-derived key K=H(f) is exposed (see Slide 6 -- hence, the color coding in "red", not to be exposed material). One needs to do extra tricks, i.e., design a challenge-response protocol that witnesses possession of f without revealing this, to use this for ongoing authentication. There are ways to do this, though.

Best regards, Rene

[1] R. Struik, “Secure Key Storage and True Random Number Generation,” presented at/NIST-KMW: NIST Cryptographic Key Management Workshop/, Gaithersburg, MD, September 10-11, 2012

Available from https://csrc.nist.gov/csrc/media/events/cryptographic-key-management-workshop-2012/documents/struik_nist_kmw_2012.pdf