Hi Everyone,

I'm probably not fully grasping how LXC containers/snapshotting works, but why
isn't the following possible?

Host    Container
        Monday
        Tuesday
        Wed
        Thurs

H1
        C1 (fresh Ubuntu)
        SA (added apache)
        SB (removed apache and added nginx)
        SC (hardened nginx config)
        Host dies

H2
        C2 (created from C1 Snapshot B)

        SC (with hardened nginx config)

On Tuesday, I snapshot C1 (creating SB) and stop the container. I then jump on
a new host (H2) and copy snapshot B:

H2$ lxc copy H1:C1/SB C2

At this point, my C2 is equivalent to C1 + SA + SB. Thus, I believe that C1 +
SA + SB = C2

On Wednesday, I take Snapshot C on H1.

I believe that on Wednesday, after taking SC, I should be able to copy SC alone
to H2. And then on Thursday, when H1 dies, I should be able to go to H2 and
launch SC (C2 + SC) and have the same container I had on H! when I first took
Snapshot C.

If I'm wrong, why am I wrong? If I'm right, how do I copy SC by itself (and not
the whole container) to H2 on Wednesday?

Best Regards,

Lai Wei-Hwa
IT Administrator
T. (514) 367-2252 ext 6308 C. (514) 218-7400 [ mailto:wh...@robco.com |