Hi all

When LXQt was created, we also created another organization on Github
called QtDesktop:
https://github.com/qtdesktop/

The goal was to have a place where Qt desktop apps with no dependency
on any particular DE could be developed in a collaborative way.
I think it's safe to say the experiment failed. In total, we managed
to get four members: Screengrab, QPS, EasyPaint and QTerminal. All
three went completely unmaintained by their original authors;
Screengrab was picked up by LXQt maintainers. QTerminal was picked up
by LXQt itself.

I would like, in the coming weeks/months, to formally archive the
experiment. A word on each of the apps:

- QPS is an app which attempts to port ksysguard but a process
viewer/visualizer is a fairly complex piece of work. ksysguard simply
does the job better and its dependencies nowadays are pretty light.
I'd love to figure out a way to have it be a better drop-in-to LXQt
(on Arch at the moment it depends on the entire KDE stack, including
Phonon etc), because it's an important part of a power-user-friendly
desktop.
- EasyPaint started off promising but lost its author too early,
there's nothing to work with there. Image editing software is not
easy. Pinta (https://pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/) looks
promising nowadays but unfortunately it's in gtk-sharp. Hoping for a
Qt alternative is probably a lost cause at this point.
- QTerminal/QTermWidget are in a pretty awful state at the moment.
They have severe memory leaks, issues with unicode/wide fonts, lots
and lots of things which have since been fixed in Konsole. But again,
Konsole pulls in the entire KDE stack on some distros so there's no
good answer there. QTermWidget is extremely useful and I hope the
Konsole devs would consider creating a widget counterpart that does
not depend on the KDE libs; then this whole situation becomes a lot
simpler.
- Finally, Screengrab. I wrote earlier that I'd like to give it the
same treatment as QTerminal: Move it to LXQt
(https://github.com/QtDesktop/screengrab/issues/42). If we do that, we
can then drop the screenshot functionality in lximage-qt which is
currently an unfortunate duplication of efforts. But the main issue
with it is its usage of Qxt, which could then be replaced by
lxqt-globalkeys usage.

Thoughts?

J. Leclanche