On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Fred Hucht wrote:

> when you mark text in math mode using arrow keys, you often accidently
> leave math mode _or_ the object (eg brackets). I think it would be
> very helpful and easy to implement to stop the cursor when a point is
> reached from where on the selection would be resetted, i.e. consider
> the eqn "|a = ( b + c )|", where "()" are math-delims and "|" is the
> math mode boundary. When I go between "b" and "+" and do
> <Shift><Right>, I select "+", "+c", and then the selection  is
> resetted as I leave the delims. I think LyX should simply stay between
> "c" and ")" on further <Shift><Right>s. Same should be true when I
> reach the point between ")" and "|".

Currently it's not possible nor makes sense to select items at different
levels. That's what you are trying to do selecting at the same time part
of the contents of a delimiter object and one of the delimiters. However
originally when the cursor gots out an inset the whole inset was selected.
I don't remember when this behaviour was changed.

Alejandro