Hi all,
I found the error the same way as pointed out by Martin Vermeer. This rises the
question: why can this happen? I took a look on the temporary file written into
the /tmp/lyxwhatsoever directory. What was very astonishing to me is that the
command "\author" appeared twice in the code, this makes no sense to me, even
more because this fact did not show in the LyX-documentwindow.

By the way, after fixing that - just for curiosity - I compiled the document
and had a look on it - I cannot even guess what is written there, my
knowledgebase in Finnish is about as good as my knowledgebase in Marsian.
However, what I saw were many many overfull hboxes - resulting in lines that
are too wide. I did not have the chance to implement Finnish hyphenation, but
there were hyphenations anyway - whether wrong or not. I was wondering whether
anybody ever planned to have a more sophisticated tool to care for the hboxes -
i. e. lead the user after compilation to the apropriate area / hopefully line in
the document and ask him for a suggestion / manual hyphenation of long words.

The reason for my arguing stems from my current understanding of LyX: people
should be capable of using it without deeper (if any ...) understanding of TeX
/ LaTeX. Hence I guess that it would be difficult to understand the real
meaning of the hbox / vbox badnesses on the short run. But I am highly convinced
that one could (to be very honest: I cannot, I even hardly understand the code
as such!) implement an LyX-option that should be used at the very end of the
text-design phase to smoothen the output. It is a matter of taste whether one
preferes to see too widely spread lines (typical ugly MS$-Word-output) or lines
being broader than the width-limit of the page. I dislike both options.

Did anyone ever think about such a tool? I can hardly contribute anything but
ideas, but I wanted to point this out - JFYI.

I know about the difficulties with regard to finding the apropriate location of
the problem that really creates the overful / underful hbox message, but I
think by the help of a tool and a little experience this could be fixed - even
without LaTeX knowledge.

Many thanks for your great work on a great program!
Best regards

Dieter Jurzitza

On 20-Sep-99 Kristoffer Lawson wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Martin Vermeer wrote:
>
>> Why is the TOC in the "author" style (and thus inside the title)? Should be
>> in
E-Mail: Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20-Sep-99
Time: 20:26:52                 |
                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)