Pauli Virtanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| I've been wondering how (and if) LyX will implement textclass
| internationalization (or just translating those on-screen labels such
| as 'Part #' associated with report class part, and the items in the
| paragraph style dropdown box). It should be done in such manner, that
| on-screen labels would match those in output.
|
| I know this isn't a very critical matter, and there are lots of more
| important ones, but it would look better if this would be done.

Agree. We have been musing at this earlier, but has not agreed on a
good way to do it.

| Of course the user may create his/her own textclass, where the labels
| are translated, but that is additional work that could be predone, and
| items in the style dropdown listbox cannot (or can they?) be changed
| this way.
|
| Would prefices on textclass files be correct? If so, there would
| be lots of files named like english_report, french_report, and so
| on, but that might not be very desirable.

Not this is a maintence nightmare.

| Other choice would be collecting the language specific labels into one
| file, (so there would be files like english_labels, finnish_labels...),
| but that'd lead to problems because for example article and report have
| different labels on same styles.

This is better, and one likely way to generate those files is to use
latex and babel to output the correct labels.

Then we will get correct labels for all textclasses and all babel
supported languages.

        Lgb