Bo> OK, use a vector and set bookmark-save x directly, then

Bo> 1. you will need a lot of shortcuts for 20 bookmarks, currently,
Bo> we only need one bookmark-save.

Anyway we would need 20 shortcuts for bookmark_goto already (and I do
not think that we have them). Or maybe you mean underlined shortcuts
in menu?

Bo> 2. you will have 19 disabled menu items if "bookmark-save 20" is
Bo> used.

Changing MenuBackend to avoid this should not be too difficult. I am
not sure anyway that having 20 bookmarks is the main goal. This is too
much until we do have a proper bookmark management like a web browser
has.

Bo> To address your problem, I can implement tagged-bookmark. I mean,
Bo> I can consider 1/2/3/4/5 or a/b/c/d/e etc as tags to bookmarks,
Bo> display the tag before filename, and use 'bookmark-goto tag' to go
Bo> to a saved bookmark. This way, I do not have to list invalid
Bo> bookmarks.

Yes, something like that. But I am not sure we need to go beyond 9
bookmarks. What do bookmark users say?

JMarc

PS: Bo, I do not mean to criticize your new bookmarks implementation.
I like most of what you have done there. It is only the stack that I
do not like much.