On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:15:32 Richard Heck wrote:

> > May I file an enhancement at bugzilla? (I didn't find any dealing with
> > this)
>
> Of course.

  This subject has been discussed here before I would be surprised if this is
not on bugzilla, or at at least in the wiki.

> This is not difficult to do, in a way, and it should perhaps be
> configurable via a preference. The "threads" are provided by the OS: On
> Linux, it just means running the system command with "&". The downside
> is that, as the code is currently configured, you don't get the error
> messages, since the command is launched and then we go on to whatever
> else we are doing: There's no "it's done" signal....

  Linux has support for threads, light weight processes, what you are
describing is a fork and different in this regard.

> You might even be able to hack your way to this by defining the
> converter using "&". It'd be worth trying.

  AFAIR one proposed solution implied the use of boost support for threads.
This would hide the platform specific details.

--
José Abílio