Dov Feldstern wrote:
I've spent an enormous amount of time on getting these two bugs fixed for 1.5.0, since we realized that they involve format changes. I think I deserve to have them applied and tested, even if it means postponing the release for a week or two. I already suggested how we can do this without having to halt continued development (by branching now, but not yet releasing). Given that there have been a lot of little changes since the last RC, I also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to apply these patches, branch, and then release an RC, which would really be a release candidate this time: unless there are critical fixes / format changes, no more changes would be made to the 1.5.0 branch until the final release.

So far, though, these two patches have mostly been ignored --- a few people have responded, but not many. It's not like anyone has shown that these patches are problematic, break things, etc. --- they've just been ignored. If these don't make it into the release for no good reason, and then have to wait until 1.6, I think that would be quite unfair.
I agree with you: I'd like to see this fix go in for 1.5, as it seems important to some people, and this is ready. That said, however, I don't use the facilities that give rise to these bugs, and I'm not sure how many people do, at least in ways that will cause the very subtle problems to which you're responding. I think that's why there's been such silence---that, and the fact that so many people seem to have vanished, waiting for 1.5.0 to arrive so we can "get back to work". So yes, there too, I agree that 1.5 should branch now, or near to now. I've got work myself that is waiting.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto