Darren Freeman wrote:
Hi all,

Can anybody explain why there are several repaints involved in a window
resize? (On Linux, Qt-4.2.1)

Starting from a small window, maximise it.

1. Window jumps to full size, Qt widgets are correctly drawn at new
sizes, but the document view is old size with old contents.

2. Document view resizes to new size, new contents.

3. Qt widgets such as scroll bar and bottom toolbar are redrawn. They
were grey in step 2.

Surely this sort of thing ought to be atomic in the sense that redraws
aren't allowed until all parameters are updated.

You can also see some shameful wasted repaints using View->{Open,Close}
All Insets. There is time spent without any repaints, while the insets
above the current view change state, then there is a string of insets
opening/closing in the current view, with text moving around, and
finally a delay while the insets below are changed and nothing much
happens. Again, shouldn't this sort of thing be done atomically without
any screen redraws until the final state is reached?

In an ideal world, we of course would like to have as less redraws as possible. Of course this is not an ideal world...

You may think this whole painting stuff is easy to fix but believe me, with current LyX architecture, it is very complicated. Anyway, I think those missing optimizations have nothing to do with your present slowness problem.

Abdel.