Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW wrote:

>>* http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/2625
>>convert the search dialog to a search bar
>>
>>to me it was fixed by new search pane. Vincent however have idea
>>to convert the current simple search dialog into search bar. opinions?
>>anybody wants to work on it? otherwise c.
>
> I've already done some work on it. I really want to have this in 2.0.0,
> so we have a polished brand new search and replace functionality.
>
> If not before 2.0.0, it must be done as soon as possible, so never c).
>
> Anyway, sign me up for this one.

I have just tried the svn trunk version and the new search&replace. It is
great and I have have been longing this feature for years. Thank you Tommaso
and the others.

But do we really need two search&replace items in the menu ?

I have argued in the past and I still believe that LyX menus are suffering
from Emacs-Disease and there are too many items. LyX should not be
intimidating for new users and shows its power step by step.

Would it not be better to have one search&replace dialog and a button to
toggle between simple mode and advanced mode.

Today the advanced mode pane design is different than the simple one in term
of place of the find button, replace button, replace all button, locations
of the checkboxes.

Usability wise, it is not optimal.

Cheers,
Charles