On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:12:55PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Le 13/09/2010 20:14, Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
> >>Why did you do that only when use_system_color is on?
> >
> >Because I don't want to change behavior when not using system colors
> >and also because the old color scheme is designed such that there's
> >no need for changing colors when selecting (everything maintains the
> >same color and nonetheless remains visible: I really like it).
>
> So it is a color scheme where one cannot change any color, for fear it
> will not be consistent anymore. Drop customization altogether ;)

Well, you only have to pay attention to not using the light blue already
used for marking the selection. On the contrary, system colors can be
(almost) anything and you cannot be sure what colors will match best.

> >>And why a can of worms? :)
> >
> >There are a lot of details to be decided. When the selection changes the
> >colors, one has to decide what complementary color has to be used.
> >Background and foreground colors are not enough, because some colors may
> >collide with them and become invisible, as in the math case.
>
> This is why using selection text everywhere makes sense IMO.
> My plan was to continue forward with this color stuff. If the consensus
> is that we want to continue looking "special", I can just stop there or
> even revert. There is more color streamlining that I would like to
> propose (bit by bit).

Yes, I agree for system colors. Anyway, I don't see why it is so bad
looking special, especially if special means better ;)
Nonetheless, I also agree that too many colors are currently used and the
text may sometime closely resemble a Christmas tree...

--
Enrico