On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Vincent van Ravesteijn <v...@lyx.org>wrote:

> If implemented within LyX, the user interface for including images would
>> need some changes. Currently, image attributes are changed by clicking on it
>> and changing numeric values in the dialog box. Cropping a PDF would require
>> the ability to manipulate it directly, at least to a basic degree. Such
>> direct manipulation would then suggest also adding WYSIWYG-like controls to
>> the image itself, which would appear as arrows upon selection. (The arrows
>> would allow scaling and rotation.)
>>

> I think this is a useful addition for the cropping of images. The way I now
> have to crop an image is to guess some numbers, press Apply, check in the
> main LyX window whether it is correct, adjust the numbers, check.. and so
> forth.
>
> It might be useful to select the region to crop to just by using the mouse.
>
> Vincent

This is exactly what motivated me. And even after a lot of practice, it
still always takes a few tries to get it right.

Xu

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:45 PM, Cyrille Artho <c.ar...@aist.go.jp> wrote:

> So IMHO if implemented in LyX, I see two ways, a choice between a quick
> operation and a more consistent/controllable way to do it.

Which way would you vote for? I don't know enough about "the LyX way" to be
able to have an opinion.

Xu

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Tommaso Cucinotta <tomm...@lyx.org> wrote:

>  Il 26/05/2011 08:05, Xu Wang ha scritto:
>

>  -Interesting, I didn't know that the Mac OS Preview has a crop feature
> that correctly extracts vector graphics.
>

> The issue pointed out here seems a very common requirement, which I tackled
> too many times in the past by using the image snapshot tool from Acrobat
> Reader.
>
> I just learned that, with Inkscape, you can open a .pdf, select a page, and
> you get a vector rendering of it that can be edited. You can select a
> portion (e.g., an image) and copy it to the clipboard.
>
> Interestingly, if you paste that thing in LyX (and also in LibreOffice),
> you get the <svg...> text :-(. You have to paste into a text-editor and save
> as ".svg", then reimport as image :-(.
>
> What's missing here, in order to paste it as a new vector image to be
> included in the document ? Is that a matter of the (wrong) MIME type set by
> Inkscape when copying ?
>

>> What do other developers think? Would it be worth to (re-)implement this
>> inside LyX?
>

> probably, if that trick with Inkscape (or any other open-source tool out
> there) above worked, this would not be needed.
>
>     T.

I disagree. As you pointed out, you can re-export as an svg and then
reimport as an image and you're done. So according to your logic, fixing the
way to copy directly from Inkscape to LyX is not needed, because there is
something else that works. But of course what's the difference with this?
It's the same difference for deciding whether to implement this feature in
LyX or Inkscape: one takes another step (in your case, saving and
reimporting, in my case it would be opening up Inkscape and copying).

Also, there are a lot of people who don't know what vector graphic is, much
less how to edit one. And at my university, LyX is installed and kept up to
date, but we are not allowed to install any other software. Even if we were,
some people do not do this maneuver very often. I don't think they would
want to install another software to do it.

Xu