On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Rainer M Krug <r.m.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the trust you put in me, but I do not nearly know enough about
> building software, configuration and ubuntu to feel comfortable with this
> role.

I don't think that Ubuntu would let you fill the role without a mentor
anyway. I imagine more important than knowledge is
(a) finding an Ubuntu member willing to act as a mentor; and
(b) having the enough time to commit to working with Ubuntu over a
period of time etc.

But I think getting the PPA is a step in the right direction either
way.  In addition to the advantage of having a PPA, making a PPA would
get you some skill as well as a pinch of respect in talking to Ubuntu,
if that's ultimately what you decide to do.

> I do not think that a ppa can be considered an "extremistic" solution, as it

I think asking Ubuntu to drop LyX from their official repos, was the
"extremistic" part of that solution, not the creation of a PPA.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted