On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:
> >> yes this was the idea. otherwise i dont believe we can't do much about
> the
> >> whole thing except extremistic "solutions" like doing ppas and ask
> ubuntu
> >
> >> devs to stop producing lyx binaries.
> >>
> > Something that they would probably deny. In any case, even if we
> > manage to get proper binaries into the Ubuntu cycle, it is still
> > worthy to have a PPA available for compatibility and bleeding-edge
> > code.
> > Liviu
>
> We could detect the Ubuntu build environment and break. I don't recall
> what the recommended way of detecting an Ubuntu build environment, but
> we could e.g. set configure to refuse to build if build-type!=rel and
> PREFIX=/usr, perhaps giving a message like:
>
>  "This is a prerelease of LyX, for testing purposes only. The document
> format used by this pre-release is not stable and probably won't be
> fully compatible with any stable release. Please do not package this
> into a stable distribution, instead package the previous stable
> version. Aborting now."

I would rather inform the user about the ppa and how they can add it to
their system (if ubuntu is happy with that) and also put the info in the
help files - same for other distros, for which there are binaries available
(openSuse now - thanks Cor).

In addition one could approach ubuntu-tweak to have the ppa included in
their next release.

> --
> John C. McCabe-Dansted

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)