On Wednesday 28 September 2011 19:05:28 Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
> Il 28/09/2011 20:40, Rudi Gaelzer ha scritto:
> > The document I'm working right now has thousands of formulas and I've
> > been using the advanced search pretty heavily. I can detect the
> > increasing memory load even with the very simple text that I attached
> > (memory.lyx). I was continually searching for $e^{-x^2}$ and the
> > memory load increased steadily; much slower, but increased
> > nevertheless...
>
> strange, on my Ubuntu 11.04, no leaks show up on your example with the
> search operation.
> Actually, there's a slight memory increase the very first times you
> launch the feature (the dialog objects are allocated, probably
> translated Qt messages are loaded into memory, etc.), and a few other
> times in subsequent uses. However, it goes steady and stable and it does
> not increase any further, no matter how many other times I keep
> searching, restarting from scratch, etc.
>
> Also, I noticed a monotonic memory usage increase while editing the
> document and especially creating math insets and deleting them later. I
> guess this is due to the Undo feature, that keeps storing (a copy of)
> all the insets even though you delete them from the document, until you
> close the document (or probably save).
>
> In your "workload pattern", were you simply searching, or also replacing
> with advanced search ? In the latter case, if the replacements were a
> lot, then this could justify the problem.

I have Fedora 15 on both my desktop and notebook.  In both, I noticed the
increasing
memory load.  That happens even if I'm doing searches only, but when I started
to perform
replace operations as well, the system seemed to demand a memory increase even
faster.

Perhaps if someone who's also using Fedora could test and report if the same
happens to
him (her).

If you can suggest any other test I could perform on my box, please let me know.

> What Qt version is there ? Mine is:
> libqt4-core 4:4.7.2-0ubuntu6.3

The installed qt are version 4.7.4-2:
qt-4.7.4-2.fc15.x86_64
qt-webkit-4.7.4-2.fc15.x86_64
qt-x11-4.7.4-2.fc15.x86_64
qt-mysql-4.7.4-2.fc15.x86_64

They're the most updated versions provided by F15.

--
Rudi Gaelzer
Department of Physics