On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Vincent van Ravesteijn <v...@lyx.org> wrote:
>> A LyX window does not appear on the screen, and Lyx does not appear as
>> an application.  However, in the second tab,  one can see processes
>> for LyxLauncher.exe and lyx.exe, and also processes for latex and
>> mf-config appear and disappear. LyX does not start, the processes stay
>> "stuck", but if you manually kill the latex.exe process, then the Lyx
>> window does appear, but none of its menus work and LyX is not
>> responding.
>

> Are you sure the processes stay "stuck" ? Or does it just take a lot of
> time.

I have waited as long as an hour without the LyX process actually
starting. Those
processes do not use any CPU after a while, there is no hard disk access, no
visible evidence of packages being downloaded.

On the other hand,

If I change the MikTeX package option to NO, then LyX starts instantly and
works fine.

Can I just be clear here:

Do you mean to say that if the MikTeX package option is "ASK" or "Yes" on
your systems, then users who are not the administrator are able to start LyX?
Because I've tested this on quite a few Win7 systems in the last week and
none have worked.

Are you thinking that if I change the MikTeX option back to Yes, and then
try to start LyX, and wait, say, 1 or 2 days, then Lyx will eventually start?
I suppose I could try that.

>> The LyX installer claims it is installing packages, but could that
>> list of  packages be expanded substantially so that LyX installs every
>> package that might be called on by any of the document types that LyX
>> tries to support?
>

> We trigger MikTeX to install all the necessary packages. That's why you have
> to wait a long time before LyX is started.I've also run LyXLauncher.exe -dbg
> any in a terminal, but the output
>
> just stops and waits while LyX seems to not start (processes are
> stuck).
>

> LyXLauncher.exe shouldn't be part of the installer anymore. Did you use the
> official installer ?

I agree with you on that one.  I saw that in 1.6.9 LyX as I was
dealing with this
same problem.  There's no LyX launcher in LyX 2.0.

When I ran into the MikTeX package config problem with LyX2, I removed that
and put the old one in for comparison.  That's where I got the Lyxlauncher
in my head.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson