From: Guenter Milde [mi...@users.sf.net]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 2:12 AM

>Probably. I can't tell, as I cannot find it in my LyX 2.0.3. But it would
>solve a long standing issue.

It was implemented in the development version. See here:
http://git.lyx.org/?p=lyx.git;a=blob_plain;f=RELEASE-NOTES;hb=HEAD

>Still, this leaves open my suggestion to provide this option under
>save_as via a Format drop-down list.

You are correct. This is not implemented. I think this is just a matter of
preference. I like it how it is because it makes you realize that you are
losing information by exporting instead of saving. There is no extra time that
would be saved if it were changed to how you suggest. You do have to realize
before you go to save that what you really want to do is export. Perhaps an
infrequent user of LyX might forget this. And I do agree with you that many
other programs behave how you suggest. To chalk another point up for your
argument, it's a little strange that there is a files of type drop-down box in
the save dialog even though there is only one choice. Nonetheless, I still
prefer how it is.

Scott