As I said, the key is the font, so

1. The example ctex.lyx uses the "adobefonts" option (see
Document=>Settings), which means you have to install Adobe
Fangsong/Heiti/Kaiti/Song Std; note they are not free fonts. To use
free fonts, you need to change this option to "nofonts", use non-TeX
fonts and compile with XeLaTeX. There are not many choices and the
best known fonts are WenQuanYi fonts, which I believe are available
under Debian.

2. Chinese fonts; see 1.

3. I do not see why not, but I'm not 100% sure (have never tried).
Please try it by yourself and ask after you run into real problems.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyi...@gmail.com>