On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Tommaso Cucinotta <tomm...@lyx.org> wrote:
> As an immediate concern, adding to Pavel's ones, I have to say that I'm not
> so sure that merging different edits on the .lyx file level, very much like a
> version control system would do in presence of concurrent commits, would
> actually be guaranteed to produce a consistent/legal .lyx file.

You need a representation that makes merging feasible.  A typical
3-way diff/merge like, say, git uses, cannot produce legal C, XML, ...
by itself.  It is possible to build 3-way diff/merge that can produce
valid merged output for specific syntaxes.  In particular it should be
possible for XML and other nested/parse-tree-like formats.  I believe
there are some non-free, proprietary XML 3-way diff/merge tools that
don't suck, but they are non-free and I've not tried them.

If this is the tack you want to follow for collaborative distributed
LyX editing then I think it'd be best to write a 3-way diff/merge for
.lyx or some representation of it.  A 3-way diff/merge for XML would
also be useful in this respect, though it'd bring in more bloat, but
it'd also be incredibly useful in general.

Nico