Jean-Marc Lasgouttes schreef op 6-5-2014 11:06:
04/05/2014 22:14, Vincent van Ravesteijn:
When selecting the first character, I see two things:

1) the connection between characters is lost (in master this is not the
case)
2) the first character actually moves to the right on selection (while
you would expect that the rest of the word moves to the left because the
first character became wider on selection)

OK, I have an idea for having correct selections without loosing the Color_selectiontext enum: we could draw the complete string as selected and non-selected, but use clipping to make sure that only the right part of the selection is visible. It will be a bit tricky, but it is doable.

In LyX 2.0.7 coloring parts of arabic strings works ok. So, I'm not sure why there is a problem here now. Ok, ligatures that should have different parts colored differently is a bit difficult. My feeling is that it is ok to split the ligatures in this exceptional case. The contextual forms in arabic though are not ligatures and can be painted in different colors without problems.

However, the question is: do we want to keep this Color_selectiontext thing? It makes all selection lose color, which is not very helpful. Therefore, we could just decide to forget about that and just use Color_selection for the background. Actually, I haven't found any wordprocessor-like application that uses a selection background color.

That wouldn't allow the monochrome style.. green text on black background, and, when it is selected, black text on green background :(.

Pavel, Enrico, as users of weird color schemes, I need your input on that.

The bigger problem will be cursor positioning, but I need more information from people who understand Arabic writing to progress on that.

What info do you need ?

Vincent