On 04/25/15 07:18, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
Reported to lyx-users here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg100825.html

Reported and confirmed by multiple users here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lyx/+bug/1430059

I've reproduced this with both self-compiled and from the repos.

The reason for why the menus are greyed out is not because the LFUNs
are disabled. In fact, if you run the command on the minibuffer it
works just fine. The problem is that Menu::updateView() is not even
being called when I click on the menu categories. For example, usually
(when this bug does not appear, e.g. on Ubuntu 14.10)
Menu::updateView() is called twice every time I click on "Document" (I
would be curious to know by the way why it is called twice and not
once). But on 15.04 it is not called at all when I click on the
"Document" menu.

I have found a (partial) work around: if you press "alt" in Ubuntu it
brings up the HUD which searches the menu of the open application. For
example, if I press alt and then "sett" it shows me "Settings
(Document)", meaning that it found an entry under Document that
matches my search string. I can then press return and it is as if I
went to Document > Settings. After I open the HUD and type a letter,
all of the menus are refreshed (Menu::updateView() was called).
However, you have to do this each time you want the menus to be
refreshed.

Does anyone feel like using Virtual Box to test out LyX on 15.04?

Scott

Dear list,

The bug appeared in indicator-appmenu after the following commit:

<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~indicator-applet-developers/indicator-appmenu/trunk.15.04/revision/267>

See <https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-appmenu/+bug/1430059/comments/20> for more details. I continued the discussion there because it is not clear if the bug is in lyx or indicator-appmenu.

Scott, I am willing to test out any patch against master on 15.04.

In the meanwhile the workaround is to run lyx with the command line:
  QT_X11_NO_NATIVE_MENUBAR=1 lyx

or to adapt /usr/share/applications/lyx.desktop as follows:
  Exec=env QT_X11_NO_NATIVE_MENUBAR=1 lyx %F

Guillaume