Le 01/06/2015 22:12, Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 08:07:11PM +0100, Guillaume M-M wrote:

I don't understand the
backwards-compatibility argument here, I think that it is safer to use the
same default format as Ctrl+R in all cases.

I think that the backward-compatibility argument is a serious one.
If an old document that was perfectly working does not work anymore,
one could simply decide that LyX is not the right tool to use and it
is safer using latex directly.

I know the importance of backwards compatibility, but I don't understand how it applies here.

Currently in stable:
* With default format output = Default
  * Ctrl+R -> pdflatex
  * Instant preview -> latex
* With default format output = PDF (pdflatex)
  * Ctrl+R -> pdflatex
  * Instant preview -> latex

Whereas in master:
* With default format output = Default
  * Ctrl+R -> pdflatex
  * Instant preview -> latex
* With default format output = PDF (pdflatex)
  * Ctrl+R -> pdflatex
  * Instant preview -> pdflatex

Thus, if changing the behaviour of instant preview for "Default" means breaking backwards compatibility, then backwards compatibility is already broken in master given that the behaviour is changed for "PDF (pdflatex)". We don't appear to believe that. This is what I meant.

But I am receptive to your idea of keeping latex for the speedup and disabling microtype, for the same speed reason. I like the idea of still having the choice via "default output format" (even though the feature will be kind of hidden).