Le 05/06/2015 08:14, Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 07:32:03PM -0400, Richard Heck wrote:
On 06/04/2015 07:13 PM, Guillaume M-M wrote:

Bad news, it seems to forget that macros can use macros. With the attached
file the preview is as follows:

\begin{preview}
\global\long\def\b{\a}

$\b$
\end{preview}

I suspect this is why all macros are included.

Most probably. This leaves us pretty stuck with the problem caused by
having hundreds of macros. I will not commit any change to stable until
we find a good solution. After all, this is what already happens now
and it is not a regression. I think the complaint is due to the fact
that now also the previews get zoomed and this may cause relevant delays,

Enrico mentions a "complaint". There seems to be a misunderstanding. The freeze on zoom is a regression in stable, while the time explosion was already there. This is only a factual report of the issues trying to be the most helpful. The reports are the outcome of my tests of the preview mechanism following Enrico's request of having his patch at <http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9354> tested.

In truth, I have no interest in full preview, only in the solution to #9354, and my tests concluded that there are no immediate issues with his patch, while I managed to find other issues---many thanks to Enrico and Jürgen for fixing them promptly. Fixing #9354 (preview inset does not work with math macros) in 2.1.4 would make the preview mechanism useful again in my context, avoiding the performance issues. (Especially because I cannot ask my collaborators to compile from git.) Apart from that, only this regression regarding the zoom/preview interaction remains regarding the stable branch (to summarise the thread, since you probably want to move forward with 2.1.4).

After this thread dies off, I may record the remaining important issues in the bug tracker, but again please do not regard such reports as complaints!

but I hope one is not zooming all the time.  And it starts to be a problem
when you have hundreds of macros, not a very common case, IMHO.

Indeed, to be precise, the freeze time does not seem to be linear in the number of macros (otherwise with ~35 macros and 700 insets one would have to wait ~5s for LyX to unfreeze, but I could observe that it was probably less than 0.5s in reality). However, the math manual is the other extreme because it only contains one macro, so it is not an accurate test either.