Guenter Milde wrote:

> On 2015-10-30, Georg Baum wrote:
>> Kornel Benko wrote:
>
>> These directories are clearly not suitable for pure test files, so I'll
>> need to add a new one. Would lib/tests be OK?
>
> If you use such a generic name, it should have sub-directories for
>
> * unittests

unit tests are sources which need to be compiled (except for the lyx2lyx
ones which do already have an own directory). I think these do not belong
under lib, but somewhere under src/.

> * functional-tests (run LyX on a document and compare the output to a
> known example)
>   + test-scripts
>   + input    # input documents for functional tests
>   + output   # documents generated by the functional tests (empty in the
>   repository) + expected # example documents with expected output
>
> * export-tests (example documents where we just test for export errors)
>   (maybe also with subdirs for "topics")

This makes sense. Especially the distinction between functional and export
tests at the first level is very friendly to the existing testing machinery.

Below that we will probably get some deeper structure in the future, but
since you can only sort by one criterion at each levekl, there will always
be people who disagree with the chosen directories. Therefore, we'll need
alternative criteria as well which do not rely on the file system (e.g. the
labels).

For now I'll simply put all files in lib/test/export (I only plan to add
export test for now), once we have 20 or 30 files in there we can create
sub-directories, and then it might also be clear how to name these.

Georg