Guenter Milde wrote:

> Dear Lyxers,
>
> thanks to Uwe for removing the non-ASCII character from ERT in
> doc/fr/Additonal.lyx in 98746f3bda2df7d3/lyxgit.
>
> Unfortunately, the export to XeTeX
>
>   lyx-svn -e pdf4 Additional.lyx
>
> still fails (error log below).
>
> What shall we do?
>
> * Explore and try to find a reason,
>
> * Leave as "wontfix"
>
> Noone needs to export this document with XeTeX so this may be wasted
> effort.
>

> Günter
>

> Error 84 returned from iconv when converting from UCS-4LE to ascii:
> Ungültiges oder unvollständiges Multi-Byte- oder Wide-Zeichen

This means that LyX gave invalid unicode to iconv when converting to ASCII.

I think this would be worth investigating, not because export to XeTeX of
this document is important, but because this bug may appear in other, more
important circumstances as well: French does only need the latin1 subset of
unicode, which is covered 100% by lib/unicodesymbols. Therefore, LyX should
be able to export to pure ASCII. Even if that is not possible for some
reason, it should tell the user (the "uncodable character" warning), and it
should never ever send invalid unicode to iconv.

IMHO it would be a good idea to create a bug report (not demanding working
XeTeX export, but for fixing the iconv error).

Georg