On 2015-11-24, Georg Baum wrote:
> Guenter Milde wrote:

>> Dear Lyxers,

>> thanks to Uwe for removing the non-ASCII character from ERT in
>> doc/fr/Additonal.lyx in 98746f3bda2df7d3/lyxgit.

>> Unfortunately, the export to XeTeX

>>   lyx-svn -e pdf4 Additional.lyx

>> still fails (error log below).

>> Error 84 returned from iconv when converting from UCS-4LE to ascii:
>> Ungültiges oder unvollständiges Multi-Byte- oder Wide-Zeichen

> This means that LyX gave invalid unicode to iconv when converting to ASCII.

Indeed, LyX passes some 8-bit non-ASCII characters.

This is also true if exporting to 8-bit TeX and the inputenc is set to
ASCII - a valid and sensible use-case we should care for:

* characters in Document>Settings>PDF-Info
  (solved for XeTeX), for inputenc==ASCII, there is no easy solution short of
  telling the user to use LICR macros (ä -> \"a etc.).

* characters in additions by the Theorems (AMS) module.

   ! Undefined control sequence.
   \theoremname ->\inputencoding
                                 {latin9}Th�or�me

It seems the following code in the *.module file uses "language default"
input encoding independent of the setting:

        BabelPreamble
          \addto\captions$$lang{\renewcommand{\theoremname}{_(Theorem)}}
        EndBabelPreamble

> I think this would be worth investigating, not because export to XeTeX of
> this document is important, but because this bug may appear in other, more
> important circumstances as well

It does: inputenc == ASCII

> French does only need the latin1 subset of
> unicode, which is covered 100% by lib/unicodesymbols. Therefore, LyX should
> be able to export to pure ASCII. Even if that is not possible for some
> reason, it should tell the user (the "uncodable character" warning), and it
> should never ever send invalid unicode to iconv.

True.

> IMHO it would be a good idea to create a bug report (not demanding working
> XeTeX export, but for fixing the iconv error).

Günter