or "urwchancal.sty" http://www.ctan.org/pkg/urwchancal

>> Currently, typing lower case letters >> inside a \mathcal tag in math
>> mode generates a seemingly random selection of symbols.

This matches roughly the output for lower case \mathcal without special
packages.

> The ideal solution would be to implement support for OTF math fonts in
> LyX's buffer view (essentially http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9014).

> Displaying lowercase letters even if not calligraphic
> would be better meanwhile, IMO.

The problem is, that we must ensure that immediate feedback that small
math-script characters are not supported by default.
There was even the idea to prevent users from typing small \mathcal (or
\mathscr) letters.

This calls for a module supporting "urwchancal" or similar packages.
The problem is, that AFAIK, there is no support for math-macros in a
LyX-module. (Correct me if I'm wrong or treat this as feature request.)

Short of this, including a file with math-macros would be the simplest
re-usable workaround.

Günter