On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 02:17:11PM +0100, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:39:56 PM WEST Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > I'm still curious someone has thoughts on the above idea. The main
> > question I have is do we usually know when we are not producing
> > equivalent documents (and thus it is easy to issue a warning)? I assumed
> > so but I don't have experience with this.
> >
> > Scott
>
> lyx2lyx can emit warnings but we do not process them in lyx. So for the
> moment
> that will not work. If the code follows the usual conventions the warning
> messages are easy to catch and process.

I see.

> We should put things in perspective, for most of the features the convertion
> is seamless. The backport is an added bonus that allows users to read
> documents from the next version.

I don't think that the users understand that it is an added bonus and
might not work in many cases and that we knowingly allow for data loss.
On the other hand, I do not remember a single bug report from a user
complaining about exporting to an older version so perhaps my concern is
indeed not worth it.

> Ideally this should a last resort scheme
> because we do not test for back and forth convertions to guarantee a stable
> cycle.

There has been some progress towards such tests, but the tests are not
unit tests.

> IMHO the ROI return of investment for this is so small that it is not
> worth, that is the amount of work required is so large for a so small benefit.
>
> And just as in the case of the question of qt4 vs qt5 as long as the code to
> convert back covers all the (relevant) cases we fulfill our promisses. :-)
>
> Again I reiterate that this is my humble opinion. :-)

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Scott