Le 06/09/2016 à 21:20, Maria Gouskova a écrit :
Hi developers,

I just upgraded to 2.2.1 today. I can see that there have been a lot of
changes in the appearance of the interface, so obviously quite a lot of
work went into the redesign. I confess I was stumped, though, when I
went to insert a citation. The "Search" and "Formatting" options are
hidden, and it's done in such a way that if I didn't know that they were
there, it would not occur to me that those areas of the window were
clickable.

Hi Maria,

I had a similar reaction the first time, however when I read the
archived discussions I got convinced that the new interface with tabs
was well thought-out (http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9618). Clicking on
a tab selects the most useful field ("search" and "text after") so there
is no wasted click. This also works with the keyboard accelerators.

The tabs look differently depending on the platform, this may explain
why on yours it does not invite clicks. To be sure that I understand
your description, "Search" and "Formatting" cannot be hidden
simultaneously, can they? A screenshot of the dialog in a state that you
find confusing would help.

So I was wondering what the motivation was for the change--I
can see that it's a "cleaner" look, but I think it really hampers the
usability of the GUI, especially for new users.

As I understand, taking less space and having enough accelerators for
all the fields.

On a more practical note, is there a way to customize the thing so that
the search and formatting options stay visible by default?

Having them visible at the same time is not possible without a lot
of work, as I understand (unless we go back to a flat dialog). But it
should be easy to remember across sessions the last open tab (so that
people who only use search do not have to open that tab every time —
though as I said it will not reduce the amount of clicks).

My opinion is that the search interface could be made simpler and more
prominent (similar to the filter of the outliner). Then it becomes less
of a concern if less important options are hidden inside tabs. But for
short-term improvements, suggestions are welcome!

Guillaume