Dear Guillaume, dear developers,

On 2016-10-23, Guillaume Munch wrote:
> Le 23/10/2016 à 13:18, Guillaume Munch a écrit :

>> 1942c1942
resulted in a change in Math.lyx
>> < \textrm{created with \textbf{\textbackslash frac}} &  &
>> \textrm{created with \textbf{\textbackslash cfrac}}\\
>> ---
>>> \textrm{created with \textbf{⧵frac}} &  & \textrm{created with
>> \textbf{⧵cfrac}}\\
making it uncompilable.

> As I understand, Günter fixed this at 6ff89c4b9 (I missed it before,
> sorry). I am still curious for the questions below, if anybody knows.

In this case, it was an incomplete change to lib/unicodesymbols (more
details below).

The intermediate state was not "requiring a fileformat change" but
"buggy".

>> Also, and more importantly, this shows that some changes to
>> lib/[unicode]symbols are in fact file format changes. Is it expected in
>> this case? Is it easy to see which kind of changes to these files are
>> file-format-changing and which ones are not?

>From development.lyx:

  Rule of thumb:

    Whenever there is the danger that a previous version of LyX cannot
    open a file using the new feature, a file format update is needed.

  The file format change allows lyx2lyx rules to implement backwards
  compatibility.

-> A changed (improved or even buggy) lib/unicodesymbols does not
require a file format change:

* lib/unicodesymbols is used on latex export and for relyxing,
  changes will not prevent opening of LyX files.

* There is no safe way to backport improvements/changes via lyx2lyx.
  (Converting a literal Unicode character to the correct LICR replacement
  is ugly and has side effects (e.g. prevents the correct XHTML export.)

Improvements (additions, simple corrections) just let a literal Unicode
character work that previously did not work properly with 8-bit LaTeX.

For a new lyx version, this is normal and expected: not all improvements
can be backported.

I don't know whether this would be safe for stable, as some documents
that do work with the new revision fail with the old revision.

Günter