On 2017-02-27, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

>> > A patch that does not exist cannot obsolete anything ;)

>> But it can be obsolete. Obsoleted by new findings during testing and
>> discussion of the problem.

> This is a sophism.

Can you explain this, please?

>> > At this point we have two simple alternatives. Either the above one or
>> > https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg198615.html

>> Both have serious drawbacks. See #10543.

> TL;DR

Sorry, but forcing a simple but insufficient patch to a complex problem
because the description is too long is not the right thing.

Then, have at least a look at the exemples attached to #10543.

>> > Then, I refuse to have a mess in the latex output only to obtain a simple
>> > en(em)-dash when LaTeX already uses -- and --- for those dashes.

>> LaTeX supports — for the em-dash (with inputenc utf8), so why don't use
>> it?

>> Using font ligatures as an input convention is seventies technology,
>> obsoleted by LaTeX2e 20 years ago.

> Another sophism.

>> LyX supports — for the em-dash since 2007.
>> I refuse a change where I need to put \textemdash in ERT to get rid of
>> the drawbacks of the font ligatures.
>> (The suggestion in msg198615 would convert all literal em-dashes into
>> "---" without any way to bypass this conversion. This breaks documents
>> that use direct Unicode char input.)

> Then let's apply
> https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg198620.html

This patch still misses the distinction between "dash with line break
opportunity" and "dash without line break opportunity" that was possible in
2.1 documents but not in 2.2.

Also, as you pointed out there would be different line-break behaviour in
LuaTeX.

There is no simple solution.
An "auto-dash" LFUN could care for different preferences.

Günter