https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sophism

> >> Both have serious drawbacks. See #10543.
>
> > TL;DR
>
> Sorry, but forcing a simple but insufficient patch to a complex problem
> because the description is too long is not the right thing.

You make it complex. We output latex and thus should follow latex rules.
Since ever LyX was outputting -- and --- and nobody was complaining
(I am not speaking about text or html output, which are different).
Now LyX outputs \textendash and \textemdash and this is causing problems.
What is the conclusion?

--
Enrico