On 2017-06-01, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 09:12:53PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

>> There is now a patch for stable attached to the ticket.
>> Thanks to Enrico for the inset code.

>> http://www.lyx.org/trac/raw-attachment/ticket/10543/0001-Keep-distinction-of-literal-dashes-vs-ligature-dashes-in-2-2.patch

>> OK to commit?

> Sorry, but I am opposed to this patch. You really mean to have all
> en/em-dashes become ERT!!!

So we have a conflict:

When I asked

On 2017-05-31, Richard Heck wrote:

> I believe the rule is (d).

The reasoning is, that it is most annoying, if existing documents show
different layout (line or page-breaks etc.) when compiled with a new LyX
version, as this can easily go unnoticed until it is too late (document
printed and submitted...).

Note that the "ERT patch" is only for *stable*, i.e. 2.2.x.
For 2.2, ERT is the only way to ensure full backwards compatibility.

I am fine if the decision is not to restore full backwards compatibility
in the last release in the 2.2 series. (Considering that in most cases
the damage is already done.)

I leave the decision to the release manager.

Günter