Hi Scott,

On 31 July 2017 at 16:50, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > I'm concerned that since this issue has left us all exhausted, there is
> > a feeling of "let's just get this over so we can move on". I encourage
> > all of us to give one more cognitive spurt and give a vote.
> >
> > From what I understand, the three options are still what I proposed
> > three weeks ago [1]:
> >
> > 1. Revert the recently added minted support.
> >
> > 2. Keep the current state of master.
> >
> > 3. Apply the patch at [2]. Don't forget to copy emblem-shellescape.svgz
> > to lib/images. (Note that I get linker errors when I try to apply the
> > latest patch, but it might be something specific to my setup.)
> >
> > So I ask explicitly to everyone (even if you think you have already
> > voted, please give your vote again):

I'm just letting you know I haven't had time to look through all the recent
posts yet.

Further, and more importantly for me, the above is only for minted.
To me it doesn't make sense to not consider 'needauth' in the same context
of safety/security.

So I'm not sure I can vote as I'm not sure the alternatives make sense.

The following is likely not going to be popular, but ...

If we don't have mechanisms that keep "regular" users safe, I don't think
it matters
very much what we do with minted.

So I think a very important question is if we think needauth is
sufficiently good,
or can be made sufficiently good before release.

I do think there should, at least formally, be some kind of alternative(s)
corresponding to e.g.
removing/disabling needauth _and_ removing/disabling the automatic/silent
running of R-scripts/gnuplot,
and that it should take some "effort"/"be scary" to enable them.

IMHO it's for LyX 2.3 not ok to do a release that's unsafe just because
it's "less" unsafe
than before, i.e. the release has to be sufficiently good, not just less
bad than before.

Please note that I'm _not_ wholly against something like needauth, I'm
simply not convinced it's good enough.
In fact, I'm still unclear on exactly how it currently works, or perhaps
rather, how it's intended to work in LyX 2.3.

> Little difficult, because what I opined was not included in your list.
> To sum up I favor support of minted, which would use secure calling
> minted once it's compilation is split into separated steps as proposed
> on minted bugzilla.
> So I do not have strong opinion whether we shoould go 1 or 2 if we
> fix the issues once minted is fixed.
>
> Even after all discussion I still see adding the whole needauth machinery
> as
> unnecessary complication of code and UI; possible future use of pygments
> still seems as made up argument for the sake of discussion rather than real
> user demand.

Would you mind clarifying why needauth is an "unneccessary complication of
code and UI"?
(Apologies as I'm likely asking you to repeat what you've said previously).

Best regards,
/Christian