Am 18.09.2017 um 05:55 schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org>:

>> I certainly care too.
>
> Rereading the email I sent, it could easily be interpreted as though I
> was implying that you did not care. To be clear, I'm sure you do care (I
> actually assumed that everyone on this list would care, and I guess that
> is why I was so sloppy with my poor choice of words); and I appreciate
> your work on finding the best practical solution for LyX users, given
> all of the constraints. I agree that giving an error on the first
> impression is not cool at all.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,

I'm always amazed about your marvelous words. Thank you.

IMO, the current situation on Mac is as follows:

The user starting LyX for the first time gets splash.lyx presented.
This file, the tutorial and the user guide cannot be printed because
of the included SVGZ icons.

With the patch (I’ve posted recently) this can be solved by the
installation of Inkscape. Therefore an advise in splash.lyx should
be given.

Pavel said the installation of the ImageMagick tools would improve
the LyX usability significantly. This one isn’t solved yet. But I’m
not sure how important the presence of ImageMagick for the average
user is. I think that one can live without it.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get an usable answer how to convert included
SVG images via the PNG route to printable output. This is not possible
because of LyX calling convertDefault.py regardless of the presence
of the convert utility. If I include a PNG image manually converted
beforehand I get a printable output.

Stephan