On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 11:47:34PM +0000, Guillaume MM wrote:
> Le 01/02/2018 à 22:23, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :

> > > Dear Scott, this looks good to me.
> > Thanks for taking a look.
> >
> > > I would not have proposed it for 2.3,
> > I'm pretty sure I know what you mean but I want to make 100% sure:
> >
> > You mean the new compressor in the first place (i.e. commit 789617b8),
> > right? Conditional on us keeping that commit for 2.3.0, you do agree
> > that it makes sense to backport the follow-up 5ce36019, right?
>
> Yes, you need Jürgen's fix.

OK.

> > The new compressor is in 2.3.0rc2. If we do not receive any other
> > reports that seem linked to it, do you agree that we should keep the
> > compressor for 2.3.0? Or do you have reason to think there is a
> > significant chance of a nasty bug that we might not encounter while
> > testing that could be serious?
> The source of uncertainty is that it changes the behaviour on all platforms
> in a non-specific way. Just make sure it is well tested on all platforms. To
> test it, put the system in heavy load and check that LyX behaves nicely when
> overwhelmed with keyboard input, not necessarily with autorepeat.

Ah this is good to know. I might ask on the lyx-users list for testers
of rc2 on Mac and Win if they can test. Is the following a reasonable
idea?

----------
LyX 2.3.0 will have a more responsive way of handling keyboard input.
Could you please help us test this new method? The following is one way:

1. Go to a large Wikipedia article (e.g. [1]), select all, and copy.
2. Go to LyX and paste.
3. Immediately after step 2 (i.e. while LyX is pasting), start typing a
   sentence as fast as you can.

It is normal that during step 3, LyX will not be responsive for a few
seconds while it pastes. What we want to know is whether the sentence
you typed in 3 shows up correctly (i.e. without dropped characters)
after LyX becomes responsive again.

Can you think of any other specific instructions we could give to
testers?

Thanks,

Scott

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Franz_Schubert