Am Freitag, den 03.08.2018, 10:13 +0200 schrieb Kornel Benko:
> I'd prefer the user be able to set the character style of an inset
> like he wants.
> So, neither document nor gui language, but the language of
> surrounding inset.
> That way every export could be independent of the gui.

But then these insets are useless for our documentation, since it is
impossible to guess in which localization it will be read. That means
that the English docs will only be useful for people working with an
English UI.

For this, we actually do not need any info insets at all. We can just
insert static text.

> Not the localization, but the dependence in export behavior is what
> drives me crazy.

But these are inter-dependent.

> > * "Ctrl" is localized as "Strg" (which is how German keyboards have
> > it)
> > * "Shift" is localized as "Umschalt"
> > * "Left/Right" are localized as "Links/Rechts"
> > * "Ins" is localized as "Einfg", "Del" as "Entf", "End" as "Ende",
> > etc.
> > * "Backspace" is localized as "Rücktaste"
> > etc.
>
> What if you _want_ to describe in your lyx-document these different
> shortcuts (for different languages)?

This won't work with our current inset info framework anyway. You need
to use static text.

> > Same for French and other languages
> >
> > If we do not mark these insets as German, then
> >
> > * hyphenation will be wrong
> > * the spellchecker will yield false positives
> > * with documents in RTL languages, the text directions will be
> > wrong
> > (see #10463)
> > * with documents in non-latin scripts, compilation will break with
> > an
> > encoding error ("Rücktaste" cannot be encoded in Arabic, for
> > instance).
> >
> > Hence we _must_ use the correct language here.
>
> Yes, but the GUI language is not right here. IMHO.

Why? It is a _prerequisite_ to prevent the problems mentioned above. So
if you say "No" to GUI language, you have to say "Yes" to these bugs.
You cannot have both.

There are only two proper ways here:

* Do not use the UI language at all for these two info insets. This
means that the info does not match the target if doc and UI language
differ.

* Properly set the language to UI language on LaTeX output (as we do
now). This means that the LaTeX output depends on the UI language.

I'd prefer the latter, since I think the other option defeats the
purpose of these insets.

Jürgen