On 17/09/2018 09:32, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Am Montag, den 17.09.2018, 09:12 +0200 schrieb Daniel:
Hi,

FYI, on Windows 10 the non-native file dialog, activated with

\use_native_filedialog false,

causes a severe reduction in functionality. In particular, it does
not
show the custom quick access folders. I guess that is why it is not
turned on by default and might never be so.

However, I am wondering whether a number of sub-entries under the
New
and Open menu, like Libre Office, might be preferable to custom
dialogs.
For example, there could be

New >
Document (Ctl+N)
  From Template... (Ctrl+Shift+N)
etc.

Open >
Browse... (Ctrl+O)
Documents...
Templates...
etc.

I am not fully sure about the right labels but could think more about
it
if desired.

See https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/2396 (and other places in the mail
archives and the tracker) for lengthy discussions about this

I am sorry if I have not overlooked it, but I couldn't find *any* argument in the ticket (other than it's "horrible UI", which seems question begging).

I have to try to find the mail discussion then (which is not referenced in the ticket). So far, I have seen the menu solution in several applications, including Libre Office. I am not saying that they never make bad UI decisions but I am at a lack evidence for this being one.

In any case, the current dialog implementation is not good on Windows due to its lack in functionality compared to the native one.

Daniel

Jürgen

Daniel