On 17/09/2018 09:32, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Am Montag, den 17.09.2018, 09:12 +0200 schrieb Daniel:
Hi,

FYI, on Windows 10 the non-native file dialog, activated with

\use_native_filedialog false,

causes a severe reduction in functionality. In particular, it does
not
show the custom quick access folders. I guess that is why it is not
turned on by default and might never be so.

However, I am wondering whether a number of sub-entries under the
New
and Open menu, like Libre Office, might be preferable to custom
dialogs.
For example, there could be

New >
Document (Ctl+N)
  From Template... (Ctrl+Shift+N)
etc.

Open >
Browse... (Ctrl+O)
Documents...
Templates...
etc.

I am not fully sure about the right labels but could think more about
it
if desired.

See https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/2396 (and other places in the mail
archives and the tracker) for lengthy discussions about this

By the way, is there a way in to open the file open dialog with a certain path? I thought I just try out how bad my GUI suggestion is first hand by creating an open menu and populate it with couple of directories. I tried

file-open C:\

but with no success. There is also no feedback as to what might be wrong. If it is not supported yet, maybe the "file-open" command could check whether it's argument is a file or directory. If it is a file, open it, and if it is a directory, open the file dialog from that directory. (I doubt that people would want to open all files in a directory, but that could still be taken care of by a third argument, like

file-open <directory> *

or so.)

Daniel

Jürgen