On 4/1/19 5:21 PM, Jürgen Womser-Schütz wrote:
> I am a newbie in this discussion.
>
> But what's about the idea to build a windows installer which gives the
> user the possibility to choose between MikTex and TexLive?
> I am not sure to be right, but both seems to be functional (after the
> MikTex problems are now solved)?
> Maybe this would be the best for windows LyX users???

Of course, we could offer both, but I'm a bit puzzled myself why we need
to install these programs for people. It honestly isn't that hard to
install them oneself. People do that all the time, right? And the
installer has always allowed people to do that, so it's not like we have
to add anything. There are other dependencies that are trickier, so I
think it does make sense for us to install those.

The problem, in practice, has been that tightly coupling LyX to MiKTeX
made it our problem when bugs affected the latter.

Riki