On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 3:31:01 PM WET Pavel Sanda wrote:
> No, as I have written in my first reply my proposal is to stay with single
> digits as long as possible (i.e. for 2 maxing at 2.9) with an option to use
> sporadic bumps to +1 version for unusual events (like unicode, Qt3->Qt4,
> XML, anniversaries).

This is a straw argument since 2.4 has two digits. :-)

Regarding anniversaries they use to happen once a year. :-)

The reason why I am insisting on this is that the version number is about
communicating with our users.
The second part is that then sporadic jumps will never occur because we
already had the transition to unicode, Qt2, Qt3, Qt4, Qt5 and that was never
deemed special for a bump and honestly it will never be.
Even if we move to an xml based file format I expected that the conversion
tools will ensure a smooth transition.
All those reasons are from a developer point of view.

Again IMHO, important as they are, all those aspects that you refer that are
implementation details.

By hearth, and without looking in to the release notes, I would say that the:
* introduction of modules;
* the beamer interface overhaul that makes it easier to work with slides are
more important;
* native support of luatex and xetex;
* The native support of fonts and the interface;
* direct support for dark themes.

Those are what for me constitute major changes. Not the fact that lyx 2.3 was
the first version to support python 3. As a developer I really like that, but
our purpose is to ensure that this is seamless to the users.

So instead of theoretical case let us look concretely in the the next release
changes https://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/NewInLyX24

Does this looks like a minor update?

--
José Abílio