On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 01:55:24PM +0000, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> > I hope my memory serves me well, but the major reason we did not go the
> > predictable route of 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1 etc was your own push for
> > 2.0 at the Berlin meeting. I can even remember at which corner of the room
> > were you standing when voicing the issue
>
> The meeting was on 2008 and the actual change was in 2010. So it was not at
> all an immediate effect.

Fortunately I do not have to rely only on my memory :)

Wiki:   Sat Nov 15 18:59:02 2008 : LyX 2_0: Wiki pages creation
SVN:    Sun Dec  7 18:09:18 2008 : [Cvslog] r27798 Makefile.am: PSpell and
ISpell was removed for LyX 2.0 at the developer meeting
dev list:  Wed Dec 17 00:29:31 2008 : When compiling LyX 2.0svn I get: ...
regards Uwe

> My concern is also related with communication.
> We should really stress that any stable series is major change from previous.
> And clearly since 1.2 that is true for all of them IMHO.

I guess that's the point where we break. I agree that moving from 2 to 3 signals
major change. At the same time once some project moves to double digits versions
my experience is that I am no more keeping track which version is which unless
I have special interest in some bug etc.

So if we keep the current scheme we can spare +1.0 switches to unusual
transitions
or symbolic moves. If we move to the proposed scheme we'll lose this option in
some 15 years.

Pavel