This refers to a surprisingly brief discussion:

https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg181030.html

Basically, the idea was to move "Use justification in LyX work area" from document settings to pref.

I take it the one reason to do so is that the setting is an individual preference. I for my part don't like reading text where justification is used without proper line-breaking and hyphenation that avoids huge spaces and rivers. But I can see that this is still a personal preference.

So, when reading someone else's document I would like it to show up with my preferred setting and I wouldn't want to change that person's preferred setting of the document (and maybe forget to reset it).

(I have not seen specific reasons against making it a preference.)

Any chance this might be done after all?

Daniel