On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, R. Lahaye wrote:

> Allan Rae wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, R. Lahaye wrote:
> >
> > > I believe that the Save & Apply button of the Preferences
> > > lights up or doesn't, when it should or shouldn't:
> > >
> > > 1) It doesn't when I type a new Backup path or LyXServer pipe
> > >    in Inputs->Paths, but it should!
> >
> > If the path doesn't include existing directories this will fail.
> > That is, if you enter /home/me/temp/lyx/ and /home/me/temp doesn't exist
> > then the validity test will fail.  What are the entries you are trying to
> > use?  And how much of those paths actually exists?
>
> Earlier I had set LyXServer-pipe to "/home/lahaye/.lyx/pipe". When I then open
> the preferences dialog and manually change that into "/home/lahaye/.lyx/mypipe"
> (simply typing "my" infront of "pipe"), I cannot [Save] or [Apply] that change
> because both buttons are still disabled. This is not the correct behaviour to
> my opinion, since I have changed the pipe in a legitimate way.
> Or what do you think?
> In this example, I have to change (and change back) something else in order
> to enable the [Save/Apply] buttons to save my new LyXServer-pipe.

Strange.

> > > 2) It does, when I select a line in the list of the LyX objects
> > >    in Look & Feel -> Colors, although it shouldn't because I do not
> > >    make any changes.
> >
> > This is a problem of the "what is an input and what isn't" variety we have
> > had elsewhere.
>
> Problem of input? I don't understand.

Talking about coding rather than user input.  IMO, these fields of the
dialog shouldn't be going anywhere near the input() function.

> Simply looking at the default top Object "GUI background" doesn't affect the
> [Save/Apply] buttons.
> So why then enable [Restore/Save/Apply] buttons when I LOOK AT the colour settings
> of (for example) "latex text". That implies no changes at all (just looking!), so
> it should not enable the [Restore/Save/Apply] buttons.
> Only when I change one of the colour settings, I should be able to Save/Apply this
> change.

Sure.  If you haven't pressed Modify in the colour tab then you can't have
changed anything.  So Modify is argueably the only button there that
should be calling the input() callback.

Allan. (ARRae)