In my literate documents, I sprinkle the following construct all over
the place:

[[variable]]

This should be in ERT and it is noweb's way of doing an in-lined
code construct that also plugs into its indexing features.

Look at .../examples/noweb2lyx.lyx for an example.

Before the ERT inset, I could scan-read my documents without trouble:

    In the following code, [[io_str_iterator]] is going to walk down

Now, I see this:

    In         the         following              code,
[666]
|   [[io_str_iterator]]
is going to walk down

If I collapse the inset, I see this:

    In the following code, [666] is going to walk down

I know there is work being done to fix this. My fantasy would be to be
able to see these short constructs as the label (instead of 666) of
the inset. That would make the most sense in my opinion.

--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan  | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)