Michael Schmitt wrote:

>the
>any
> >
> > I'd say Latex "feature" (a margin note should go after a word, not before)
>
> What does Dr. LaTeX (aka Herbert) say about this? If it is indeed a LaTeX
> problem rather than a LyX bug, I will drop this item.

this is your problem, not a latex one ...
when you add your margin note _direct_ before the last word,
than the parbox of the margin and the word are a unit(!) and
hyphenation is not possible!
a margin should always appear as a "word", means space before
_and_ space behind, than all works well.

a margin note appears with the top in the line of the \margin
command.

Herbert

--
http://www.educat.hu-berlin.de/~voss/lyx/