Angus> Jean-Marc, I've been looking through the changes to the 1.3.x
Angus> tree since I started this effort to merge Ruurd's LyX/Win port
Angus> into the official sources. As a result, I've added descriptions
Angus> of a number of small fixes to status.13x, attached.

These changes look good to me, except that this one

+- LyX now passes all external scripts to the relevant interpretter explicitly.
+  This means that Windows can now run the script even when it doesn't have
+  a "recognized" file extension.

should be in document input/output (I think) and 'interpreter' is
mis-spelt (I think).

Angus> I've also tried to describe the 'bigger picture' that Windows
Angus> users will see when they compare LyX 1.3.6 to Ruurd's port. See
Angus> porting-changes.txt. I'd imagine that this should be merged
Angus> into status.13x but it could probably do with some more polish.
Angus> No doubt you'll have your own ideas...

This looks good, although I think it should be shorter: I would mostly
remove the first paragraph and start with something like

  LyX is now officially supported under window 9x, 2000 and XP [add or
  remove OSs there]. The Windows port has almost the same
  functionality as its Unix counterpart. The following things do not
  work, however:

   * The spellchecker only works with the GNU aspell library.
   * The lyxserver does not work.
   * The "autosave" facility which makes a back-up of your document every
     5 or so minutes and which runs asynchronously on unix machines will
     block execution on Windows.

And so on... I know that it is a bit terse for so much work, but we
want people to actually read it :) We could have a more long-winded
version on the wiki.

The part about file location should be written also for people who use
OSX (BTW, windows does not know about `application bundle'). A table
giving the common locations for the three packaging models would
problably be (mostly) enough (OK, of course we needs a couple
sentences to make it intelligible).