Enrico Forestieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Bo Peng <ben.bob <at> ...> writes:
> >
> > > Pay attention whether it is an email transfer problem. Dot doubling
> > > happens
> > > to me when the sender uses thunderbird.
> >
> > This is unlikely the case since
> > 1. I am using mutt and one of my friends will never use things like
> > thunderbird (he is MS/OE only).
> > 2. the files are sent via attachments
> > 3. if thunderbird (or other mail clients) adds dots, it will add them
> > after all dots, not only dots after \cite.
>
> I can confirm that if the *first* character in a *text* file attachment is
> a dot, then it gets doubled when the mail sender client is thunderbird
> (this happens at least with version 1.0.7 in debian testing).
>
> In a lyx file it may easily happen that the first character on a line is
> a dot, so it *may* be an email transfer problem if the sender uses
> thunderbird.

I verified that MS/OE behaves the same, i.e., if the first character on
a line is a dot (no matter if in the email body or in a text attachment)
it gets doubled when sending. Conversely, if the first two characters on
a line are two dots they are collapsed to a single dot.

So, it seems that thunderbird and OE are well paired ;-)
I suggest that you use thunderbird to exchange lyx files with you OE friend
or ask him to zip the file before emailing it.

--
Enrico