Bo Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Then for pities sake, take this to a sendmail forum. Fix the problem not
> > the symptoms.
>
> Have you read the previous posts? This is a known feature (written in
> the standards), not bug of sendmail.

That's correct. Having read some RFCs on the subject, I am convinced that
dot doubling is the result of buggy behavior or misconfiguration. See, e.g.,
(sorry, the gmane interface forces me to break the url over two lines)
http://www.greatcircle.com/lists/majordomo-users/mhonarc/
majordomo-users.199506/msg00100.html

The format of lyx files cannot be blamed for this, nor we should pretend
that it is changed to account for broken software/configuration.

> > The point is: no one has ever complained about this problem here before
> > in the 10 years of LyX's existence. Ergo it isn't a problem for our users.
>
> OK. I will withdraw my bug report, and wish you, and 'our users' best
> luck when sending lyx files.

I was exchanging lyx files by email for years and the only problem I saw
was that dot doubling thing, which now I know occurs only when I download
my email using POP3 with an "obscure" mailer. I was blaming TB for this
but now that I know the culprit I was able to fix it.

In your case it can be a misconfigured sendmail. The problem may occur
when the mail gets delivered locally. Thereafter any mailer would show
the double dots. Sendmail has configuration options for local delivery.
See the above link about hints for what configuration parameters to check.

--
Enrico